Tuesday 24 December 2013

Christmas Chocolate Gingerbread

by Bex

I really wanted to make some gingerbread this year and found this recipe for a chocolate gingerbread advent calendar in BBC Good Food magazine.  It's super easy, the only reason it takes so long is the cutting and baking.









You can find the recipe on their website at the link above but you basically just chuck everything except the syrup in a food processor and blend then add the syrup and blend til it forms a dough, cut out your shapes and bake.  To make holes it suggests using a straw as soon as they come out of the oven while still soft - I found this tricky as the straw melted on the bottom of the tray so after making 2 holes and becoming full of gingerbread it didn't work so I just trimmed the ends of the straw each time.


I found that I didn't need to spread the shapes out as much as I thought either as they didn't spread much but did rise a little to give a nice rounded finish.  I made gingerbread men, Christmas trees, snowmen, baubles, snowflakes and a couple of dragonflies, wreaths and presents.  We're going to have great fun decorating them on Christmas Eve and I plan to make a garland out of the gingerbread men.  :)


They taste amazing with a wee Bailey's latte ;)

4 comments:

Ashleigh said...

We used to make gingerbread to hang from our tree until rod caught a wee mouse in the tree having a nibble. It's a shame cos it was a lovely tradition. Have a lovely Christmas xox

Unknown said...

These look lovely and tasty - a great combination. Merry Christmas to you and Nik xx

Amanda M said...

They look incredible. If only I weren't at work I would definitely be making these! But you know what they say, a cookie is for life, not just for Christmas...

Unknown said...

Amanda after tasting one of these at Bex's this afternoon, I'm making some tonight as last minute Christmas pressies :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100