Thursday 19 September 2013

Review - Bistro 21, Durham

by Bex

On the Sunday after Vikram's retirement party, we all headed out for lunch at a lovely restaurant in Durham, Bistro 21.  I have to say, it was one of the best meals out I'd had in a long time (this was before we went back to Hotel Du Vin!)

Rohi and I got there first and perused the menus in the cosy snug at the bar.


We soon got settled and I chose the highly recommended Gruyere cheese and leek souffle for my starter.  It was absolutely divine.  A huge portion but I wasn't complaining, that's what Sunday lunches are for - indulging!  It was so cheesy, light and full of flavour with loads of sauce to mop up with the very nice fresh bread we had on the table.



The others had the mackerel which I'm not a huge fan of but Nik and Vikram enjoyed it, and the most vivid green soup (I can't remember if it was pea or broccoli) served with almonds.



 I chose the roast pork for my main and I can easily say this was the best pork I've ever had in my life!  It was belly pork but had minimal fat and the most yummy crispy crackling.  It was so delicious and tender, despite being stuffed to the brim, I could have squeezed some more of that pork in!


The roasts came with huge Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes (to die for and super crispy) and plenty of veg.


The roast beef looked good too, pretty rare and juicy.


The cod also looked delicious, served with samphire and popcorn mussels.


Most of us were too full for dessert but Vikram and Rohi decided to share a meringue which also looked lovely and they assured us it was as tasty as it looked, served with orange and rhubarb, pistachios and vanilla cream.


 The dining room is nice and bright with whitewashed walls and white table cloths.  It has a lovely atmosphere and is always busy when we've been there.

http://www.bistrotwentyone.co.uk/


I wore my trusty coral maxi skirt to lunch with my GEEK T-shirt :)


Skirt - Mango
T-shirt - Internacionale
Jacket - Whistles
Bag - Accessorize
Scarf - Primark
Gloves - M&S
Belt - H&M

On our way back to Glasgow we were on the rather cool 007 Skyfall train :)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

That cod and samphire sounds right up my street! And that train is SO cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TOTS100

TOTS100 - UK Parent Blogs
TOTS100